If you are like many budget-minded brides, you are uncomfortable with paying a lot for the veil you want. The good news is you don’t have to. There are discount veils available, but you can also DIY. Below is a series of tutorials on how to make a wedding veil, step-by-step. You can watch videos and/or read instructions, whichever you prefer.
If you are thinking you do not have the talent to do this, think again. The number one rule for my do-it-yourself videos is I have to be able to do it all by myself. On the 10-point “craftiness” scale I am a 2-3. So if I can do it, you can too.
What’s in this “How to Make a Veil” DIY?
An overview of my five-step veil making process follows. Plus, there are additional videos detailing those steps and a few considerations. There is a corresponding transcript with each step as well.
Here is an outline of the contents, followed by the make a veil overview video:
- Step 1: Measuring and cutting veil fabric with your own, home made pattern. You can use things you already have around the house.
- Step 2: Making your blusher (if you want one). I show you how to make the blusher a part of the veil, but you can just as easily leave it off or make it detachable.
- Step 3: Gluing embellishments such as rhinestones, crystals, pearls, edging, or other decorations. This is the part that makes many paid-for veils expensive.
- Step 4: Putting gathers in your veil. It is easier than it sounds!
- Step 5: Sewing on a veil comb. This makes it convenient to securely attach the veil to your hair.
- If you are trying to decide whether to make your own veil or not, read Your Veil: DIY or Buy?.